Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Speech! Speech!

As I caught the last 10 minutes of Rocky IV tonight, and subjected myself to Balboa's rambling, incoherent, yet hilarious, speech for the 118th time, two thoughts crossed my mind: 1) How in the hell did that Russian translator come up with a Russian word equivalent of "you's"? and 2) Rocky's speech may have been the worst speech in movie history.  But let's not dwell on the negative, my friends.  Those 10 minutes were hardly wasted, as it did get me to thinking about the best movie speeches that I've ever seen. So, I racked my brain and I compiled a list of my own personal favorites:

10.) Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987)
Neil Page loses it!

9.) Bull Durham (1988)
Crash Davis has some beliefs.

8.) 25th Hour (2002)
Monty Brogan takes a good look into the mirror.

7.) Wall Street (1987)
Gordon Gekko gets greedy.

6.) Braveheart (1995)
William Wallace--period.

5.) Scent of a Woman (1992)
Col. Frank Slade has the floor.

4.) A Few Good Men (1992)
Col. Jessep tells Lt. Kaffee the truth.

3.) Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
Blake knows his ABC's.

2.) The Devil's Advocate (1997)
John Milton explains why it's "better to reign in hell than serve in heaven."

1.) Jaws (1975)
Captain Quint tells a chilling tale.

3 comments:

  1. Nice list. Not that these are top ten material, but I enjoy them:

    Hyman Roth explains "the business" in Godfather II.
    Miles Raymond reveals his thoughts on "the life of wine," in Sideways.

    And this great rebuttal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7kVDwGiRg
    by Joe Pesci in With Honors.

    -KDogg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done--I love Joe Pesci's speech in With Honors, too. I also really wanted to include Reggie Hammond's Torchy's speech, but I couldn't omit any of the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could forget John Winger's Old Yeller speech!
    -Francis Sawyer

    ReplyDelete