Thursday, October 22, 2009

Here I Go Again

This weekend, as I settled in to what had to be my 112th viewing of Rocky III, I challenged myself to narrow down a list of 10 movies which I refer to as the "I'm Compelled To Watch This Movie Everytime It's On" movies. These are the movies that if found watching by your wife, girlfriend, parents, etc., will illicit the obvious inquiry of, You're watching that again? I have to be honest, narrowing the field down to 10 sounds a lot easier than it actually is to do. I came up with 10 in precisely 6.4 seconds.  Then I spent the rest of the afternoon beating myself up for leaving an obvious one off of my list.  So, I had to compromise.  I gave myself a top 10, with 5 honorable mentions.

So here is my personal list and my five honorable mentions.

Honorable Mentions:
15.) The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 
Favorite quote: Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

14.) Revenge of the Nerds (1984)
Favorite quote: Stan Gable: What are you looking at, nerd?
Booger: I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche-bag, but that's in Ohio.

13.)  Sixteen Candles (1984)
Favorite quote: Hey Howie, there's your Chinaman.

12.) Risky Business (1983)
Favorite quote: Every now and then say, "What the fuck." "What the fuck" gives you freedom. Freedom brings opportunity. Opportunity makes your future.

11.)  Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Favorite quote: I just didn't walk into this town from the cotton fields, Axel.

My Personal Top 10

10.) Goodfellas (1990) 
Favorite quote: You took your first pinch like a man and you learned the two greatest things in your life. Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut.

9.) Rounders (1998) 
Favorite quote: I feel like Buckner walking back into Shea.


8.) Major League (1989)
Favorite quote: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

7.) Fletch (1986) 
Favorite quote: Gail Stanwyk: Could you love someone who looked like that?
Fletch: What are you talking about? Of course not! Five, ten minutes tops, maybe.

6.) 48 hrs. (1982) 
Favorite quote: Reggie: You said bullshit and experience is all it takes, right?
Jack: Right.
Reggie: Come on in and experience some of my bullshit.

5.)  Rocky III (1982) 
Favorite quote: You know, Stallion? It's too bad we gotta get old, huh?

4.) Cocktail (1988)
Favorite quote: Beer is for breakfast around here, drink or be gone!

3.)  Predator (1987)
Favorite quote: Billy: I'm scared Poncho.
Poncho: Bullshit. You ain't afraid of no man.
Billy: There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

2.) The Karate Kid (1984)
Favorite quote: Daniel: What's that guy kneeling like that for?
Miyagi: Don't know.
Daniel: Don't you know anything you can tell me?
Miyagi: Hai. No get hit.

1.) Road House (1989) 
Jimmy: Prepare to die.
Dalton: You are such an asshole.

Have fun trying to narrow your list down to 15.

4 comments:

  1. Beverly Hills Cop: my favorite line was "don't think Axel, it makes my dick itch!"

    Hard bodies......great call! Love the scene on the beach. Oh yeah, which one? The scene where the old hippy is getting a hummer while playing the guitar........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wade Garrett is getting old.
    -Rooster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Favorite line from Fletch: "Are you recording this... No, never, never..."

    Favorite line from Roadhouse: "You're too stupid to have a good time..."

    I would throw in Night Shift with the line, I can't just pick one quote, Scarface with the quote: I burried that cock-a-roach", Major League with, "She bet me 50 bucks that she had a better body than you and I had to defend your honor","The Godfather" with "Bada-bing, you blow his head off over your nice ivy league suit. Tom, he is taking this way too personal" or "I will make him an offer he can't refuse" and Lethal Weapon with "I am getting too old for this shit" or "Riggs, you crazy son-of-a-bithc".

    - Chris K

    ReplyDelete